Best Time to Apply for Jobs | Tips | Resume.com
- When is the best time to apply for jobs?
- Best months to apply for jobs
- Best days to apply for jobs
- Best time of day to apply for jobs
- Job application tips for different times of the year
- General tips for applying for jobs
When you’re applying for a new job, certain times are better than others to submit your application. Depending on the month, day, and time of day you apply, employers may be more likely to read your resume. Learn more about the best times to apply for a new position, including the best months, days, and times of the day.
When is the best time to apply for jobs?
In general, the best time to apply for a new position is at the beginning of the year due to a few factors. Employers often hire new employees in the first quarter to ensure they meet their annual goals. Additionally, employees who plan to retire usually wait until the end of the year, meaning companies need to find replacements in the new year. There are also certain days of the week and times of the day that are best to apply so your resume stands out.
Best months to apply for jobs
Here is a segmented list of months that explains the best time to apply for a job.
The beginning of the year is considered the best time to apply for jobs. This is especially true if you are seeking a full-time job that you plan on keeping long-term. Many companies create new budgets for the year and have additional roles to fill to meet the year’s goals. The best time to begin applying for jobs is mid-January rather than the beginning of January. This is because many companies experience slower paces at the onset of a new year due to time off for the holidays.
Springtime is another good time of year to apply for a new position. Many companies continue their hiring efforts at the beginning of the year through to summer, so several jobs may still be open in March, April, and May. Additionally, hiring managers want to fill positions before summer vacation so they don’t lose productivity. There are typically more people applying for jobs at this time, so the competition may be heightened compared to earlier months in the year.
June through August is typically the slowest time for companies and may not be the most ideal time to apply for jobs. Many employees, including hiring managers, take vacations during these months and are not as active in the hiring process as they are during other months. Consider using these slower months to freshen up your resume and develop any skills needed to boost your chances of getting your preferred job.
September and October are typically the months when companies begin to gain more momentum after the slower summer months. This time of year is often busier in hiring and can prove beneficial in your job search.
The last few months of the year are typically slower than other months due to the approaching holidays and limited remaining funds for the year. However, this doesn’t mean that you should avoid applying entirely. Submitting applications during this time may give you an advantage since fewer people apply for jobs before the holidays.
Best days to apply for jobs
Here are some reasons to consider when applying for a job on certain days.
Many people consider Monday to be one of the best days of the week to apply for jobs. Submitting applications on Monday gives hiring managers ample opportunity to review your resume and contact you for an interview within the same week.
Many companies post job openings on Tuesdays, so searching and applying on a Tuesday can help you be one of the first applicants for a position.
Wednesday to Friday
These days aren’t as beneficial as Monday or Tuesday, but you can still apply since hiring managers still read resumes.
Saturday and Sunday
Since hiring managers don’t usually review applications on Saturdays and Sundays, it’s usually best to wait until Monday or Tuesday to apply. That way, your resume won’t get lost with the applications sent in over the weekend. On Saturdays and Sundays, you can spend time tailoring your resume and cover letter so they’re ready for you to apply first thing on Monday.
Best time of day to apply for jobs
Here are some important things to consider about the time of day when you choose to submit your resume.
6:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
These hours are typically when recruiters and hiring managers check their emails for new applications, making these times the best for applying to jobs.
11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
These times may still provide a benefit as they are during normal working hours, and hiring managers can see the application the same day you submit it.
After 5:00 p.m.
Sending in an application after normal business hours means the hiring manager won’t see it until the next day. Consider waiting until the morning to submit your application. You can bookmark a job opening if you see it later in the day so you can easily find it again the next morning.
Job application tips for different times of the year
The following are tips to consider when applying for jobs at different times of the year:
- Earlier in the year. Many people often apply for positions in the earlier months, which means that the competition will be higher during this time. Ensure that your resume is up to date and that your cover letter is as impressive as possible to help you stand out from other applicants.
- During the summer months. Since this is often the slowest part of the year for hiring, you should spend this time perfecting your resume and planning out your job search in the months to come. If you choose to continue submitting applications during this time, try to remain patient and keep in mind that the interview and hiring process might be slower.
- Later in the year. As the year goes on, the hiring processes of most companies should increase again. Try to begin applying for jobs again in September and October for the best chances of securing interviews.
Many companies save resumes for a certain period of time, usually up to three months. Even if you submit your resume earlier in the year, they may contact you in the summer or fall for an interview.
General tips for applying for jobs
Here are a few tips for applying for jobs at any time:
- Tailor your resume to each position. Before submitting your resume for a job opening, ensure that your resume is as relevant to the job listing as possible. This sets you apart from other candidates and shows hiring managers your most relatable qualifications.
- Read all of the application instructions. Some job applications ask for additional information in addition to your resume. Be sure that you carefully read the application instructions and submit all the requested documents to be considered for the position.
- Submit a cover letter. You should submit a cover letter with each job application, even if it’s optional. A cover letter can quickly inform hiring managers why you should be considered for the job and increase your chances of getting noticed. Tailor your cover letter to each job you apply for to ensure you highlight your most relevant qualifications.
If you follow these tips, you have a greater chance of hiring managers finding and reading your resume.
If you need help writing a resume, use our data-backed resume builder.