What makes your cover letter stand out to employers?
I’m an experienced recruiter and I’ve been a hiring manager, too. I’ve seen the same mistakes again and again throughout my career. But if you take a little extra time to avoid these common problems, your cover letter should really stand out!
Remember these four questions to help you write a successful cover letter and get hired:
- Why do you want to work for the company? What interests you about them?
- Talk about how your personality and skills align with what they do
- Why are you a good fit for this company and the job?
- Write about how your past work, life experiences and skills meet the important requirements of the job
- How are you personalizing this cover letter sample?
- Tailor your cover letter to the job you’re applying for
- Address the cover letter to whoever will be reading it. If you don’t know who will be reading it, you can address it as “To the Hiring Committee” or “To the Hiring Manager”
- Have you proofread your cover letter?
- Make sure to check for correct spelling and grammar before sending out your cover letter!
- [Phone Number]
As a digital marketing specialist with over 13 years of experience, I am confident that I will add value to your digital marketing team assuming the role of digital marketing manager.
I have spearheaded revolutionary digital campaigns that have changed the way industries conduct their marketing strategies. One of my pride and joy include the marketing campaign I led for ABC Company which resulted in a product sales surge of 1500% and increased revenue of $250,000 within 6 months of the campaign running.
My specialties include PR campaigns that work exceptionally thanks to my relationships with PR agencies and news networks and paid marketing campaigns that work effectively as a result of constant split testing and monitoring.
I am a marketing graduate from DEF College scoring the highest of my class with distinction. My theoretical knowledge has been harnessed by practical experience which has created my distinctive ability to identify winning digital marketing campaigns. I am confident and passionate in all aspects of digital marketing with a high familiarity with all different marketing platforms and social media dashboards.
With a thorough knowledge of SEO, SEM, SMM and PPC techniques, I am certain that my effective digital marketing strategies will help business growth, brand recognition and customer increase in a matter of months.
Given my successes, I am excited to work with your company to help grow it and challenge myself to create success. I thank you for your time and consideration of me as a candidate for the job and I am confident that I will exceed your expectations by far given the opportunity to prove myself.
How to write a modern cover letter?
- Include your full name and contact information at the top of your modern cover letter
- Start the cover letter by respectfully addressing the recipient by name
- Mention where you found this opportunity and your interest in it
- Use the first paragraph to explain why you are a great candidate
- Briefly discuss your relevant experiences, qualifications and accomplishments
- Thank the reader and express interest in discussing your application in more detail
- End the cover letter with an appropriate sign-off and your full name
- Your modern cover letter should be one-page or or less in length