What makes your cover letter stand out to employers?
I’m an experienced recruiter and I’ve been a hiring manager, too. I’ve seen the same mistakes again and again throughout my career. But if you take a little extra time to avoid these common problems, your cover letter should really stand out!
Remember these four questions to help you write a successful cover letter and get hired:
- Why do you want to work for the company? What interests you about them?
- Talk about how your personality and skills align with what they do
- Why are you a good fit for this company and the job?
- Write about how your past work, life experiences and skills meet the important requirements of the job
- How are you personalizing this cover letter sample?
- Tailor your cover letter to the job you’re applying for
- Address the cover letter to whoever will be reading it. If you don’t know who will be reading it, you can address it as “To the Hiring Committee” or “To the Hiring Manager”
- Have you proofread your cover letter?
- Make sure to check for correct spelling and grammar before sending out your cover letter!
[Your Name] September 17, 2019
- [Phone Number]
Finance is a part of all of our lives. My life was crafted by finance at a young age when my mother took a financial literacy course. We went from a family who had almost no savings to a family who could afford a vacation every single year. These experiences helped mold my mind and abilities. I have been training my entire life for a position like this and I have all the necessary skills for it. I am positive that I am one of the only candidates who is the perfect fit for your open Finance position at Metta Financial.
Sound Bank has been my home for the last 3 years. I have gained invaluable experience while there and have been able to further develop my financial skills. I created financial plans, developed financial models, and helped clients work out financing during my time there.
My analytical and financial skills are unmatched for an employee at this stage in my career. I can surely handle as many tasks as you can throw at me. I am not afraid to work hard and put in the necessary work to finish any project on deadline. Being a calm and collective presence in a hectic environment is necessary for a position like this. I have all the right skills and experience to grow and flourish in this role.
Metta Financial is one of the finest financial institutions around. My father was once a client of your firm and he reaped many great successes from your firm’s work. I knew I needed to jump at the chance at your opening as soon as I saw it.
I’d love to get a chance to speak to you over the phone about my fit for this open Finance position.
How to write a financial advisor cover letter?
- Include your full name and contact information at the top of your cover letter
- Start the cover letter by respectfully addressing the recipient by name
- Mention where you found the job posting and your interest in the opportunity
- Use the first paragraph to explain why you would be a great hire as the financial advisor
- Briefly discuss your experiences, qualifications and accomplishments related to this opportunity
- Thank the reader and express interest in discussing the role in more detail
- End the cover letter with a professional sign-off and your full name
- Your cover letter should be one-page or or less in length