What makes your cover letter stand out to employers?
I’m an experienced recruiter and I’ve been a hiring manager, too. I’ve seen the same mistakes again and again throughout my career. But if you take a little extra time to avoid these common problems, your cover letter should really stand out!
Remember these four questions to help you write a successful cover letter and get hired:
- Why do you want to work for the company? What interests you about them?
- Talk about how your personality and skills align with what they do
- Why are you a good fit for this company and the job?
- Write about how your past work, life experiences and skills meet the important requirements of the job
- How are you personalizing this cover letter sample?
- Tailor your cover letter to the job you’re applying for
- Address the cover letter to whoever will be reading it. If you don’t know who will be reading it, you can address it as “To the Hiring Committee” or “To the Hiring Manager”
- Have you proofread your cover letter?
- Make sure to check for correct spelling and grammar before sending out your cover letter!
- [Phone Number]
Dear Mrs. Jones,
I am writing to express my sincere interest in the position of Banker with ABC Bank. With over three years of experience helping customers to improve their financial futures, I am confident in my ability to immediately add value to your team.
During my career as a Banker, I have worked with credit unions, national banks, and global institutions. I am passionate about developing relationships with customers in the branch and love seeing my usual customers come in every day.
I am adept at introducing customers to a variety of services, including business banking, mortgage lending, and investment planning. My skill set includes customer service, business development, and risk assessments. I also have experience originating loans and processing complex transactions like living trusts, estate assignments, and guardianship accounts.
I am extremely eager about the opportunity to join your team, as both of my parents have been banking with you for over twenty years now and they have had nothing but positive things to say.
Thank you in advance for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you!
How to write a banker cover letter?
- Include your full name and contact information at the top of your cover letter
- Start the cover letter by respectfully addressing the recipient by name
- Mention where you found the job posting and your interest in the opportunity
- Use the first paragraph to explain why you would be a great hire as the banker
- Briefly discuss your experiences, qualifications and accomplishments related to this opportunity
- Thank the reader and express interest in discussing the role in more detail
- End the cover letter with a professional sign-off and your full name
- Your cover letter should be one-page or or less in length