What makes your cover letter stand out to employers?
I’m an experienced recruiter and I’ve been a hiring manager, too. I’ve seen the same mistakes again and again throughout my career. But if you take a little extra time to avoid these common problems, your cover letter should really stand out!
Remember these four questions to help you write a successful cover letter and get hired:
- Why do you want to work for the company? What interests you about them?
- Talk about how your personality and skills align with what they do
- Why are you a good fit for this company and the job?
- Write about how your past work, life experiences and skills meet the important requirements of the job
- How are you personalizing this cover letter sample?
- Tailor your cover letter to the job you’re applying for
- Address the cover letter to whoever will be reading it. If you don’t know who will be reading it, you can address it as “To the Hiring Committee” or “To the Hiring Manager”
- Have you proofread your cover letter?
- Make sure to check for correct spelling and grammar before sending out your cover letter!
- [Phone Number]
Dear Mrs. Jones,
I am writing to express my sincere interest in the position of Admin with ABC Company. With over five years of experience as an Admin, I am confident in my ability to immediately add value to your organization.
During my tenure as an Admin, I have worked in a variety of office settings, ranging from five to thirty people. The industries I have worked in include law, construction, and professional services.
My expansive skill set includes calendar management, travel arrangements, vendor management, meeting facilitation, reporting, and basic IT assistance. I possess a bachelor’s degree in business administration and am proficient in MS Office and Prezi.
I am highly-motivated and tenacious, backed by a strong work ethic. My organization skills are second-to-none, which allows me to create operational efficiencies in the office. Backed by years of experience, I thrive in fast-paced, results-oriented environments and am a huge believer in collaborative teamwork.
I am extremely eager about the opportunity to join your team, as your job description aligns perfectly with my background. I have also heard amazing things about your company and employees.
Please find my resume attached for you to review. Thank you in advance for your consideration. I am extremely eager about the opportunity to work with you!
How to write an admin cover letter?
- Include your full name and contact information at the top of your cover letter
- Start the cover letter by respectfully addressing the recipient by name
- Mention where you found the job posting and your interest in the opportunity
- Use the first paragraph to explain why you would be a great hire as the admin
- Briefly discuss your experiences, qualifications and accomplishments related to this opportunity
- Thank the reader and express interest in discussing the role in more detail
- End the cover letter with a professional sign-off and your full name
- Your cover letter should be one-page or or less in length